15 Apple Cider Vinegar Uses and Health Benefits
In recent years, apple cider vinegar has been climbing in popularity for its incredible health benefits. Apple cider vinegar is made from apple cider that has been fermented in order to form probiotics and enzymes that boost overall health. This fermentation process gives it far less sugar and calories than typical apple cider or juice. This powerful liquid has only 3-5 calories per tablespoon, and is great for a long list of uses and health benefits. Read on for 15 apple cider vinegar (ACV) uses and health benefits!
15 Apple Cider Vinegar Uses and Health Benefits
1. Regulates blood sugar levels. Many studies point to the fact that apple cider vinegar can help regulate blood sugar levels in the body. One study found that ACV consumption helped decrease blood sugar levels by 31 percent after consuming white bread.
ACV can increase insulin sensitivity as well. A studies published in Diabetes Care found that ACV ingestion improved insulin sensitivity by nearly 34 percent.
Use ACV to promote blood sugar regulation by diluting one tablespoon into water and drinking it before meals.
2. Promotes weight loss. Numerous studies link apple cider vinegar to enhancing weight loss efforts. One study found that consuming just two tablespoons each day of ACV, with no other diet modifications, over the course of 12 weeks, resulted in a 4 pound weight loss.
Other studies have found that ACV can increase satiety. This helps you consume less while losing more. The best success for weight loss is obviously a healthy diet and lifestyle, but adding ACV can help your efforts.
3. Boosts gut health. ACV helps add healthy bacteria to your diet. This type of bacteria helps boost the health of your digestive system. It also adds gut bacteria benefits. This benefits include boosted immunity, improved digestion, and increased nutrient absorption.
4. Lowers cholesterol. High cholesterol levels translate to increase strain on the heart. Let apple cider vinegar promote heart health for you! One study found that by supplementing rats with apple cider vinegar, they could reduce LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) and increase HDL cholesterol (the good kind)!
5. Soothes sunburns. A little known use for ACV is to use it to soothe sunburnt skin. Just add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar to 1/4 cup of coconut oil to a warm bath, and enjoy a nice soak. For an added benefit, use a couple of drops of lavender essential oil.
6. Whitens teeth. Apple cider vinegar is a safe, natural, and effective way to whiten your teeth. Try brushing your teeth with a bit of apple cider vinegar. You can also rinse your mouth with apple cider vinegar after brushing. Be sure to use a very moderate amount.
7. All natural household cleaner. By mixing equal parts of apple cider vinegar with water, you can easily make an all natural household cleaner. Its antibacterial properties combat grease and germs while keeping the house clean and tidy. An added bonus? No nasty chemicals!
8. Improves skin health. Apple cider vinegar can help treat acne and dull skin. The types of acid in apple cider vinegar (acetic, lactic, succinic, citric) have all been proven to slow the growth of the bacteria that causes acne. ACV can also help reduce scarring because of the lactic acid it contains.
9. Keeps seasonal allergies at bay. Thousands of people use apple cider vinegar each day to treat their seasonal allergies. ACV does this through the healthy bacteria found in it. This bacteria helps boost the body’s immune system and support lymphatic drainage. This helps the body avoid seasonal allergy attacks. You can shoot two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar each morning, or dilute two tablespoons into water when allergies flare up.
10. Kills bugs and fleas. Are you looking for a natural way to treat bugs and fleas? Add equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water into a spray bottle. Spritz your pets with the spray once a day until the fleas are gone.
11. Reduces blood pressure. High blood pressure creates a serious risk for heart disease. Apple cider vinegar helps combat high blood pressure. Several studies have found that apple cider vinegar reduces blood pressure due to its acidic components. Incorporate ACV into a healthy diet and exercise for powerful results.
12. Treats warts. Warts are incredibly stubborn to treat and eradicate. Apple cider vinegar can help! Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply it directly to the wart. Then cover the cotton ball with a bandage overnight. Continue repeating this process until the wart falls off. Stay diligent – it may take some time!
13. Enhances circulation. Various research studies have found that apple cider vinegar can help increase circulation throughout the body. Many women experienced a reduction in symptoms of varicose veins by applying apple cider vinegar to the area and rubbing in a circular motion.
14. Alleviates acid reflux. Acid reflux is miserable for anyone who suffers from it. Apple cider vinegar helps combat acid reflux by incorporating more acidity into the digestive track. This prevents the acid from backflowing up through the esophagus. Shoot 2 tablespoons of ACV each morning, or dilute it in 8 ounces of water.
15. Fights fungus. Apple cider vinegar is also useful in fighting athlete’s foot, toenail fungus, or other types of infections caused by fungus. You can make a DIY anti-fungal spray using apple cider vinegar as the liquid base. Add in some melaleuca oil for added anti-fungal properties.
Pure Chiropractic Cares About Your Health
At Pure Chiropractic, located in Howell, Michigan, Dr. Hohn truly cares about his patients’s overall health. Chiropractic care has incredible benefits that are only amplified by making other healthy lifestyle choices. Call Pure Chiropractic today to schedule your consultation and appointment, and start living your healthiest life now!
Howell, MI 48843