7 Reasons to Start Foam Rolling Now
Foam rollers are popping up all over the place, and for good reason. Maybe you’ve seen them at the gym or on the athletic aisles of your favorite big box store — they look like foamy tubes and for some reason, people are obsessed with rolling on them. Why? Because foam rollers have tons of health benefits!
Here are 7 reasons you should start foam rolling now:
1. Foam rollers help prevent injury. Foam rollers are one of the best ways to get a self-myofascial release. This allows normal blood flow to return to your muscles and restores healthy tissue throughout your body.
2. Foam rolling isn’t just for athletes. If you sit in an office all day your muscles can become tight from remaining in that one position. Foam rolling releases the tension in your muscles and can benefit anyone!
3. Foam rolling removes lactic acid from your body. Lactic acid causes cramps, burning, and soreness throughout the body. Foam rolling helps rid your body of lactic acid build up.
4. Foam rolling improves mobility and flexibility. If you’re carrying around a lot of muscle tension, your body becomes stiff. Foam rolling helps ease muscle tension and improve your mobility and flexibility.
5. Foam rolling breaks up scar tissue. Foam rolling can help break up scar tissue through gentle massage. By removing this tissue, simple movements, exercises, and tasks become easier to perform.
6. Foam rolling can improve circulation throughout the body. Good circulation is vital to overall health. Myofascial release can help improve circulation by breaking up the tight areas where blood flow has become restricted.
7. Foam roller exercises can help reduce stress. One study found that myofascial release can lower cortisol, the stress hormone, after a hard workout! Grab your foam roller and let your workout woes fade away.