8 Proven Health Benefits of Avocado
The avocado is one of the most unique and celebrated fruits in the world — and for good reason! Avocados have been linked to incredible health benefits from improving your skin to lowering your risk of life-threatening diseases. Want to know more? Check out this list of 8 proven health benefits of avocado!
1. Incredibly nutritious. Avocados contain a wide variety of nutrients, including 20 different vitamins and minerals. This superfood contains 26% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin K, 20% of the recommended daily amount of folate, 17% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C, 14% of the recommended daily amount of potassium, 14% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin B5, 13% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin B6, and 10% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin E in one serving!
2. Contain more potassium than a banana. Most people aren’t getting enough potassium in their diets, and potassium is essential in maintaining electrical gradients in the body’s cells as well as many other important bodily functions. Avocados are very high in potassium, with one serving packing 14% of the recommended daily amount, whereas bananas only have 10% of the RDA per serving.
3. Loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. Avocado is a high fat food, with 77% of its calories coming from fat. Before you vow to never eat another avocado again, remind yourself that this fatty food actually contains the GOOD kind of fat! — oleic acid! This monounsaturated fatty acid has been linked to reducing inflammation and having beneficial effects on genes linked to cancer.
4. Can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Several research studies involving the effects of avocado on risk factors associated with heart disease have shown that avocados can reduce total cholesterol levels significantly, reduce blood triglycerides by up to 20%, lower LDL cholesterol by up to 22%, and increase HDL (the good) cholesterol by up to 11%!
5. Can increase antioxidant absorption. Several nutrients are bodies need are fat soluble, meaning that that need to be combined with fats in order to be utilized. One study showed that adding an avocado or avocado oil to meals can increase antioxidant absorption by 2.6 to 15-fold.
6. Packed with antioxidants that can protect the eyes. Avocados contain nutrients called Lutein and Zeaxanthin, which are incredibly important for eye health. Research shows that these two nutrients are linked to drastically reducing the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
7. May help prevent cancer. There is limited evidence that avocado may be beneficial in preventing cancer. One study showed it can help reduce the side effects of chemotherapy in human lymphocytes! Avocado extract has also been shown to inhibit the growth of prostate cancer cells.
8. May help you lose weight. Since avocados are packed full of nutrients and good fats, they are an excellent food to add to your diet if you’re looking to lose weight. Their fats and nutrients will keep you feeling fuller, longer, and keep cravings at bay.
Avocados are truly a superfood! What is your favorite way to incorporate avocado into your diet? Share in the comments below!