Benefits of the Paleo Diet + Snack Ideas
Following the Paleo diet can have incredible benefits. According to NomNomPaleo,
“Paleo is an ancestral approach that prioritizes eating real, whole, nutrient-dense foods. At its core, Paleo is about trying to eat real, naturally occurring ingredients that are healthful rather than harmful. Biologically, our bodies respond best to real, whole, nutrient-dense foods like plants, meat, and seafood—all of them packed with the nutrients our bodies evolved to thrive on. It was only after industrialized food production and lab-engineered edibles took over our diets that the ”diseases of civilization“ exploded. Today, wheat, soy, sugar, and highly processed foods continue to drive up rates of autoimmune disorders, cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes, and obesity. But by getting back to eating real food, we can stay healthier and happier.”
It is for these reasons, and many more, that we continue to support the Paleo lifestyle at Pure Chiropractic. Read on for some of our personal favorite benefits of the Paleo lifestyle.
The Benefits of the Paleo Diet
1. Eat real, unprocessed foods. By eating real, unprocessed foods you eliminate preservatives, hidden sugars, sodium, additives, artificial flavoring and coloring, and so much more. You don’t have to worry about unnecessary toxins filling your plate.
2. Rich in nutrients. The Paleo diet is about a lot more than fat and protein. While eliminating nutrient deprived, processed carbs, you make room for more nutrient dense food! By eating more vegetables, healthy fats, nuts, seeds, berries, fruits, and meat, you’re fueling your body with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
3. Reduced bloat. The Paleo diet is rich in fiber. This, and adequate water intake help decrease the bloat and inflammation many of us experience on a day to day basis. Eating Paleo also boosts your gut flora, aiding in healthy digestion.
4. No more hanger. You know what it is to be hangry, right? You’re so hungry that you become angry, irritable, and unpleasant. This is a common side effect for people who wait to long to eat between meals. Why? Often, their blood sugar drops, leading to a rapid onset of hunger. This comes with irritability, fatigue, and brain fog. Paleo foods help fight off hanger! Paleo meals consistently include protein, fats, fruits, and veggies. This combination gives you a very satisfying and satiating plate. This helps your blood sugar levels stay stable, prevents energy drops, and helps hunger to develop naturally, minus the mood swings.
5. Sustained weight loss. Many people experience weight loss with the Paleo diet, when combined with regular exercise. Those not looking to lose weight have reported that the Paleo lifestyle helps them maintain their current weight because their cravings for junk foods are few and far between!
These benefits of the Paleo lifestyle just barely crack the surface of all it can do for you and your health. We encourage you to do some research of your own, and reach out to us if you’re interested in learning more! In the mean time, we wanted to help you get started in your Paleo journey by providing you with 10 Paleo snack ideas that you’ll love!
10 Paleo Snacks That Anyone Will Love
1. Apple Paleo Muffins from Cook Eat Paleo
These muffins are easy to make, freeze well, and are perfect for breakfast for a snack. They are also kid tested and approved!
2. Banana Almond Chia Pudding from Grits and Chopsticks
This recipe is not only Paleo, but it’s also Whole30 approved! This is a great substitute for dairy yogurt. It’s also easy to adjust! If bananas aren’t your thing, swap them out for berries, mangos, etc.
3. Chocolate Zucchini Breakfast Bars from Cheeriolala
These chocolate zucchini breakfast bars are truly great for snacking anytime. You can’t taste the zucchini, which makes them a perfect way to sneak more vegetables into your diet. They also freeze well if you want to make a big batch to always have some on hand!
4. Chunky Monkey Paleo Trail Mix from Cotter Crunch
This crock pot trail mix is sure to be a crowd favorite! Full of a variety of nuts, sweetness, and chocolate, what’s not to love? Use ghee or coconut oil in the recipe to keep it perfectly paleo.
5. Fudge Protein Brownies from Gimme Delicious
You read that correctly — fudge brownies on the Paleo diet. These brownies are so easy to make! With only 4 ingredients, they are simple, delicious, and a crowd pleaser.
6. Funky Monkey Popsicles from PaleoHacks
This is a great recipe to get the kids involved in! Frozen bananas, chocolate coconut milk, chopped nuts, chocolate, and sea salt, make these sweet and savory. They’re perfect for warmer days!
7. Cauliflower Hummus from I Breathe I’m Hungry
While most hummus recipes are based on chickpeas, which aren’t allowed in the Paleo diet, this one is different. This delicious recipe is full of cauliflower, garlic, tahini, and is easily customizable! Add in any paleo friendly additions your heart desires to make this recipe truly your own!
8. Paleo Almond Butter Cups from Golden Barrel
These paleo almond butter cups are easy to make, delicious, and perfect for parties!
9. Carrot Cake Energy Balls from Physical Kitchness
These energy balls are a great grab-and-go snack for the whole family. They taste great, sneak in some vegetables, and fuel your body with healthy fats.
10. Almond Butter Protein Bars
These proteins bars are so delicious. Made with almond butter, dates, and coconut oil, they require zero baking. They set while in the freezer, and will keep for months at a time!
Pure Chiropractic Wants To Help You Live Your Best Life
At Pure Chiropractic, Drs. Chris and Krystal Hohn want to help patients live their best life possible. They believe health starts from the inside out. By helping patients take care of the health of their spine, and encouraging them to fuel their bodies with nutrient rich foods, they are doing just that.
If you’re looking for chiropractic care that focuses on wellness of the whole body, give us a call today. We look forward to hearing from you! (810) 588-4036