The Best Hikes Near Howell, MI
Spring is right around the corner! With warmer weather on the horizon and trees and flowers blooming, it’s time to get outside. Why? Because hiking is good for your health! Another bonus? It gets you away from the screen, which can impact your posture, your social skills, and your sleep, to name a few!
Studies show that hiking is a great cardio workout that can:
- Lower your risk of heart disease
- Improve your blood pressure
- Improve your blood sugar levels
- Boost bone density
- Build strength in your leg and hip muscles
- Strengthen your core
- Improve balance
- Help manage weight
- Improve mood
Experts recommend getting just 150 minutes of exercise per week to reap these benefits. You don’t have to fit in all this exercise at once! Break it up throughout the week with weekend hikes, walking during your lunch breaks, and get your family and friends involved.
Michigan has some of the most beautiful scenery and wildlife in the country, and we wanted to highlight some of the amazing parks and hikes in our beautiful state. We put together a list of the ten best parks and hiking trails near Howell, Michigan. Grab your friends and family and hit the trails! The fresh air and exercise is good for you!
The Top 10 Parks and Hiking Trails Near Howell, Michigan
1. Brighton State Recreation Area. The Brighton Recreation Area is located at 6360 Chilson Road, Howell MI, 48843. It has 4,947 acres of recreation for park visitors to use. Among these acres are several miles of trails available for equestrian, mountain biking, and hiking. Trails range in length from 1 mile to 18 miles. Each trail has incredible views of the beautiful nature Michigan has to offer!
2. Howell Nature Center. The Howell Nature Center is located at 1005 Triangle Lake Rd, Howell, MI 48843. This beautiful area is home to many wildlife animals. Howell Nature Center’s goals are to rehab injured or orphaned wildlife in order to eventually return them to their natural habitat, and to educate citizens about wild animals. There are several hiking trails throughout the campus that let visitors see wildlife and enjoy the scenery!
3. Maybury State Park. Maybury State Park is located at 20145 Beck Road, Northville, MI 48167. It contains almost 1,000 acres of rolling terrain, meadows, forests, wildlife, and wildflowers.It even has trails for hiking, cross country skiing, horseback riding, mountain biking, and a paved bicycle path. Maybury State Park has something for everyone!
4. Hudson Mills Metropark. Hudson Hills Metropark is located at 8801 N Territorial Rd, Dexter, MI 48130. Just 12 miles northwest of Ann Arbor, this park has 1,549 acres to explore. It has a 3-mile loop paved hike-bike trail. It also has the West River Trail which takes hikers and bikers almost 5 miles and ends in downtown Dexter. While you’re there check out the golf course, ball fields, swings, slides, canoes, tennis, shuffleboard, and more.
5. Pinckney Recreation Area. The Pinckney Recreation Area is located at 8555 Silver Hill Rd, Pinckney, MI 48169. This area has over 11,000 acres! Full of wildlife and activities the whole family will enjoy, Pinckney Recreation Area also has several hiking trails for all ages and skills. Trails vary in length from 2 miles to 35 miles! For more details click here.
6. Independence Lake County Park. Independence Lake County Park is located at 3200 Jennings Rd, Whitmore Lake, MI 48189. This park has tons of recreational activities for its visitors. From swimming, boating, fishing, biking, rollerblading, hiking, and more, it’s a must-visit! Their hiking trails take hikers through the park at different lengths so that they can see all of the beautiful scenery!
7. Bird Hills Nature Area. Bird Hills Nature Area is located at Newport Rd and Bird Rd, Ann Arbor Charter Township, MI 48103. It’s the largest park in Ann Arbor. It has 5 trailheads that go through hills and ravines, taking hikers through the beautiful outdoors. Most of its trails are pet friendly as well!
8. Kensington Metropark. Kensington Metropark is located at 2240 W Buno Rd, Milford, MI 48380. Kensington’s 4,543 acres of wooded, hilly terrain surrounds Kent Lake, and is home to an abundance of wildlife and waterfowl. This metro park has a golf course, picnic areas, lakes and beaches, hiking and biking trails, and more. An 8.5 mile paved hike-bike trail takes hikers alongside Kent Lake. There’s also an additional 7 miles of trails that allow visitors to see plants and animals in their natural element.
9. Seven Lakes State Park. Seven Lakes State Park is located at 2220 Tinsman, Holly, MI 48442. This state park has 4 hiking trails varying in length from 0.3 miles to 2.10 miles. Trails take visitors along the shoreline, throughout the park, and amongst wildlife. With breathtaking views, this park is one you must visit.
10. Island Lake Recreation Area. Island Lake Recreation Area is located at 12950 Grand River Rd, Brighton, MI 48116. Island Lake Recreation Area has activities for any outdoor enthusiast. With hiking, biking, canoeing, fishing, beaches, and more, the entire family will love to visit this park. Load up the car and hit the outdoors!
At Pure Chiropractic, we want to help each of our patients live their best life. We believe this is possible through a wellness approach that includes a balanced diet, chiropractic care, and exercise. Activities such as hiking are a great way to enjoy nature while spending time with loved ones and improving your overall health!
Plan your visit to some of these beautiful locations, and let us know which trails and parks are your favorites. Each step you take along these trails is a step towards a better and healthier life!
You can trust Pure Chiropractic with your health and wellness needs. Drs. Hohn have incredible knowledge of the chiropractic industry. They also are well-versed in nutrition and the powerful role it plays in a healthy life.
Contact our offices today to schedule your appointment at (810) 588-4036 or email us at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you along your wellness journey!