Chiropractic Care and Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a very exciting time in a woman’s life. Each day is full of new experiences. With these new experiences come a many changes in the woman’s body. These changes, while amazing, can do a number on a woman’s body. The spine, joints, muscles, and nerves are all pushed to their limits throughout pregnancy and birth.
Bodily Changes During Pregnancy
The hormonal fluctuations and physical strain of pregnancy change a woman’s body throughout the pregnancy. Nearly every system in the body is impacted. Read on for specific ways the body changes throughout pregnancy:
- The respiratory rate rises in order to accommodate increased maternal oxygen consumption. This increase in oxygen intake is needed for the demands of the uterus, fetus, and placenta.
- The entire cardiovascular system readjusts during pregnancy. A woman’s blood volume increases and blood vessels grow. Also, pressure of the growing uterus on large veins in the body slows down blood flow on its return to the heart.
- As the uterus grows during pregnancy, it rises up and out of the pelvic cavity. This moves the stomach, intestines, and other surrounding organs! The shifting of these organs may cause constipation, reflux, and heartburn.
Endocrine System Changes:
- Several changes occur in the endocrine system — the system responsible for the body’s hormones. Increased estrogen and progesterone levels occur. Higher hormonal levels take place. Basal metabolic rate is raised as the body needs more energy to grow baby.
- During the second trimester of pregnancy, the abdomen starts to expand. By the end of this trimester the top of a woman’s uterus is near her rib cage! As ligaments that support the uterus stretch, a pregnant woman may experience pain and discomfort.
Changes in Weight
- Most doctors recommend a weight gain between 25-35 pounds during pregnancy. It is important to remember that each woman’s weight gain should be discussed with their doctor. It is not a one size fits all category!
- Weight gain during pregnancy is typically distributed as:
- Baby: 6-8 lbs
- Placenta: 1-2 lbs
- Uterus: 1-2 lbs
- Amniotic Fluid: 2-3 lbs
- Breast: 1-2 lbs
- Blood: 3-4 lbs
- Protein and Fat: 8-10 lbs
- Body Fluids: 3-4 lbs
Other Common Changes
- Hormone changes may change a woman’s hair and nail texture and growth throughout pregnancy
- Leg cramps caused by fatigue, compression of blood vessels in the legs, or calcium and magnesium deficiencies may occur
- Feet and ankles may swell from the extra fluid in the body
5 Ways Expectant Mothers Benefit from Chiropractic Care
With all of these changes occurring throughout the body at the same time, it is crucial for a woman’s nervous system to be in great shape!
Chiropractic care is proven to help maintain a healthier pregnancy, control symptoms of nausea, reduce labor and delivery time, and relieve back, neck, and joint pain.
Read on for other ways expectant mothers benefit from chiropractic care!
1. Chiropractic care keeps the spine in alignment. Pregnancy adds additional weight and pressure to a woman’s body. This weight gain can often impact the spine, causing subluxations.
These misalignments can cause severe pain. Chiropractic care helps keep the woman’s spine in alignment, so she can avoid the back, neck, and joint pain so many women experience throughout pregnancy.
2. Chiropractic care reduces the need for pain relievers. We are firm believers in the idea that the body was made to heal itself. When subluxations exist, the body’s nervous system cannot function as it should. This makes it difficult for the body to properly heal.
Chiropractic adjustments are a safe, natural, and effective way to relieve pain at its source. Over the counter medications simply address the symptoms, not the cause of the pain. Use chiropractic throughout pregnancy to help treat any aches and pains.
3. Chiropractic care strengthens and repairs joints. During pregnancy, an expectant mother’s joints are under a lot of pressure. Chiropractic care helps reduce the stress of a growing abdomen on a woman’s spine, hips, legs, and ankles.
By looking at the overall picture of the body, chiropractic care strengthens the body and helps promote healing.
4. Chiropractic care helps achieve pelvic alignment. A properly aligned pelvis helps create an easier birthing process. When the pelvis is not aligned, it restricts the amount of room baby has to grow. This can prevent baby from getting in the right position for birth.
A doctor of chiropractic can help properly align the pelvis. This helps both mother and baby have an easier birth experience, with less interference.
5. Chiropractic care helps the mother have an easier recovery. Expectant women who use chiropractic care throughout pregnancy report better posture, less pain, increased mobility, and a faster recovery post pregnancy than those who do not use chiropractic.
Because chiropractic helps the body use its innate ability to heal itself, women who use chiropractic during and after pregnancy can expect to feel their best, faster.
Let Pure Chiropractic Help You With Chiropractic Throughout Your Pregnancy
Chiropractic care during pregnancy has proven to beneficial before, during, and after pregnancy. It helps mom naturally handle the changes her body experiences throughout pregnancy. It also helps both mom and baby experience an easier birthing process. Finally, chiropractic care helps mom recover from pregnancy faster.
If you are trying to get pregnant, currently pregnant, or recently gave birth, contact Pure Chiropractic today. We would be honored to walk with you on your wellness journey during this special time in your life.
You and your baby deserve the best start to life possible! After all, pregnancy should be one of the happiest times in a woman’s life. Contact us today for your appointment. We can help you feel your best throughout your pregnancy and recovery. Contact us at (810) 588-4036 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
Pure Chiropractic is proud to serve the areas of Howell, Pinckney, Brighton, and their surrounding towns and cities. Drs. Chris and Krystal Hohn are a husband and wife team, and are passionate about health and wellness. You can trust Pure Chiropractic with all of your chiropractic needs!