Scientifically Proven Benefits of the Paleo Diet
Throughout the years, we’ve all been exposed to our fair share of fad diets and opinions on what constitutes a healthy diet. The Paleo approach to eating has emerged as one dietary philosophy that is here to stay. It promotes eating real food, fresh ingredients, and is changing lives.
So why is the Paleo approach to food so powerful? Here are several scientifically backed benefits of the paleo philosophy:
1. Sustained weight loss. (1) For many, this is one of the biggest benefits of the paleo diet. The best part is, eating paleo is not only beneficial for initial weight loss, but helps maintain the weight loss over time. One study points out that the sustained weight loss may be due to increased satiety from eating paleo foods (2).
2. Feeling fuller, longer. When most of us start a new diet, we often complain of being hungry. Satiety is one major benefit of the paleo diet — letting you eat less frequently and become more in tune with your feelings of actual hunger rather than feelings of thirst or emotions.
Research from a recent study shows that the increase in protein in paleo meals are what help us feel fuller, longer.
3. Reduce inflammation. The paleo diet is rich in healthy fats and nutrient dense foods like nuts and vegetables. It also encourages eating grass-fed beef, wild salmon, and free-range eggs, leading to a higher intake of nutrients as well as the proper ratio of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
The correct ratio of Omega’s helps reduce inflammation in the body! (3)
4. Boosted immune system. A diet loaded with fresh vegetables and fruit with every meal helps strengthen your immune system. This helps your body fight off germs and viruses far more effectively than those who eat poorly.
5. Reduced risk of disease. The paleo diet reduces our risk of developing many diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. (4) (5)
Have you thought about given the paleo diet a try?Need recipes? Coaching? Accountability? Let us know how we can support you in your efforts!