Top 7 Tips For Buying A New Mattress
Buying the perfect mattress can be tricky, so we’ve put together a list of 7 tips to ease the process for you! A great mattress is essential in maintaining spinal health, so check out the tips below and let us know what you think!
1. Talk to your doctor. Ask your chiropractor about what he or she recommends! Your chiropractor knows your spine and what type of support your back needs.
2. Firm mattresses aren’t always better for your back. Research actually shows that the best mattress for lower back pain is a medium firm mattress, rather than an incredibly firm one.
3. Pillow top preference may depend on your size. Very light-weight people don’t need a thick pillow top mattress because they don’t weigh enough to compress the foam down to touch the support system. Larger people are typically more comfortable on a pillow top mattress because it places some extra cushion between them and the coils.
4. Adjustable beds are a great option. Adjustable beds allow you to elevate your head and knees in order to relieve pressure on your lower back. If an adjustable bed isn’t in the budget, you can get the same effect using pillows.
5. Check the warranty. A good mattress should have no less than a 10 year full replacement warranty.
6. Protect your investment. Always purchase a waterproof mattress protector, as stains will void your warranty.
7. Test the mattress! Try to lie on the mattress for at least 10-15 minutes in the store so that you get a great feel for it. Don’t feel rushed by the salesperson- this is a big investment!